Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament

Click here to see Mass times and contact information for the Cathedral

cath4.jpg
Click here to view the inside of the Cathedral

A Brief History of the Cathedral

Small beginnings.

In October 1860 a small wooden chapel was erected on a water-logged section in Barbadoes Street south. Pre-fabricated in a builder's yard it was carted to the site by horse and dray. It measured 24ft x 18ft (7.3m x 5.5m) and cost 75 pounds $150). But for the handful of Catholics in Christchurch it was a significant occasion, as it was for the Marist missionary priests recently arrived to serve their spiritual needs.  Click here to read more...



Cathedral Milestones

In 1857 the Provincial Government makes grant of land.  Click here to read more…

 

Cathedral Architecture

Located in Barbadoes Street, architect F.W. Petre's magnificent concrete, Oamaru stone-clad building is regarded as one of the finest examples of church architecture in Australasia. It replaced the original chapel and church of the Blessed Sacrament that was opened in 1864.  Click here to read more…

 

Cathedral_3D.jpg

 

For a 360 degree view of the interior of the Cathedral prior to the earthquake, click here

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cathedral Photos

For photos of the Cathedral view the Photo Gallery from the Cathedral Parish

 

Archival Information

Click here to read Archival Information about the Cathedral

 

Earthquake Information

Read the earthquake updates about the Cathedral

View photos of the damaged Cathedral at various stages